State statute requires the formation of accountability committees to encourage engagement and meaningful consultation in accountability and improvement planning. At RMSEL, the District Accountability Committee acts as a review body and advisory committee to the RMSEL BOCES in service of the school mission, vision, and expeditionary learning design principles. DAC will review and report to the RMSEL BOCES annually in the responsibilities as outlined below:
- Review and make recommendations on the biannual performance plan as assigned by the state accreditation category.
- Make recommendations pertaining to school finance, including budget priorities, annual budget content, and school-based fees.
- Review and make recommendations on school policies, including the district safe school plan.
- Participate in the educational waiver renewal process, when applicable.
- Study and make recommendations on other priorities as identified by the RMSEL BOCES or related to the RMSEL strategic plan.
- Provide input and recommendations to the Executive Director, on an advisory basis, concerning the development and use of assessment tools to measure and evaluate student academic growth as it relates to teacher evaluations.
- Meet at least quarterly to discuss whether RMSEL BOCES leadership, personnel, and infrastructure are advancing or impeding implementation of the school’s performance plan or other progress pertinent to the school’s accreditation contract (per HB 18‐1355).
RMSEL community members (parents, guardians, and family members of current RMSEL students) may apply to be on DAC on or before the May meeting as terms complete or when seats are open. Public notice will be provided one month prior to application, providing parents ample time to express interest and complete an application. Openings will be posted on the RMSEL website and included in school-based communication(s).
The Executive Director will review the applications and present nominations for DAC appointees to the RMSEL BOCES for approval. The selection and nomination process shall, to the extent practicable, ensure that appointees reflect the student populations significantly represented within the school.
Consideration shall be given to RMSEL community members who have demonstrated related experience in service of the purpose of DAC. Related experience may include but is not limited to:
- Having participated in RMSEL fieldwork and/or crew trips
- Having participated in the RMSEL Portfolio and Passage process
- Having served in a volunteer capacity within the school
- Met family service hour commitments within the school year of application
2023-2024 meetings will be held on:
- October 2, 2023, 3:15-4:30 pm
- November 6, 2023, 3:15-4:30 pm
- January 5, 2024, 8:00-9:30 am
- February 5, 2024, 3:15-4:30 pm
- April 1, 2024, 3:15-4:30 pm
At this time, we have three open positions we are seeking to fill:
- Middle School, 6th-8th Grade (1 member)
- Primary School, Kindergarten-3rd Grade (1 member)
- At-Large Community Member (1 member)
Applicants shall be considered through Friday, October 13, 2023, and recommended for the Board to approve the nominations on October 26, 2023. To apply, please provide a letter of interest to Chad Burns, Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org
), outlining your desire to serve on the committee and address the points for consideration as outlined above. We look forward to serving the RMSEL community as well as support for the RMSEL BOCES as they seek to hire a new Executive Director. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact Chad accordingly.